Air purifiers are devices that remove dust, pollen, allergens and other contaminations from the air and clean the air within the indoor environment. It can be installed as an individual standing unit within the space or can be fixed within the HVAC or air conditioning system within the room. These purifiers are not only beneficial for people who are allergic to dust but are also helpful to remove tobacco remains from the air making it less harmful for everyone around. Air purifiers vary in sizes according to the facility or intensity required for the space, ranging from large units to very small table size equipment that can be used in houses or automobiles.
In an air purifier, built-in fans draw air within the device. This air is then purifier/filtered with the help of filters that can be of any type mentioned below. After it, cleaned air is distributed throughout the room.
- Identify the reason for using an air purifier
The first thing that you would want to identify is the reason why you need an air purifier in the first place. Here are a few known benefits to start using an air purifier.
- Allergies and asthma: Someone who suffers from asthma or is triggered by certain odors in the room and similarly for someone who is allergic to dust particles or pollens the best kind of air purifiers are those that have HEPA filters or the ones with odor and chemical filters.
- Smoke and dust particles: You might need an air purifier to cater the smoke or dust particles in the house or sometimes even the tobacco remains that contaminate the air causing breathing problems.
- Pet dander: You can also require an air purifier if you have pets in your house to reduce any odor or catch the dandles from the pet furs that are lest into the air.
Remember that air purifiers do not magically resolve your respiratory issues (a myth many people believe). Rather they reduce the problem at a great level. By eliminating the problem causing agents (pollens etc.), you will note a reduction in the appearance of your respiratory disorder symptoms.
- Choosing an air purifier for your car, home or office
The selection of the right kind of air purifier will vary based on the type you require for whether it be one for your car, your office or a house as a whole.
- Air purifiers for cars: Air purifiers for cars are mostly divided on the type of purpose they serve. In case you require a purifier to control the air that goes into your engine to avoid any combustion or fire to take place you will need an engine air filter. For removing pollutants from air that is coming through your car air conditioner you would require a cabin air filter and to avoid inhaling cigarette particles you will need an air ionizer that sticks these particles to a surface after ionizing them in order to avoid any inhalation. The last kind of car purifier actually releases ozone to avoid any odors in the car. Based on these types of air pollutants you can select those that can suit your purpose better.
- Air purifiers for various room types: The type of air purifier you use in a room is based on the size of the room. Make sure to buy a purifier that performs best for a room size at least 20 percent larger than your own room to increase efficiency. They will also vary based on the type of room, for example if you are buying for a bedroom you might select one that makes less noise so that it does not become a hindrance for your sleep whereas for the lounge you might need on with different options based on the current need in the room.
- Different types of air purifiers and what they do
There are multiple types of air purifiers based on the kind of mechanism they use and the kind of facility they provide.
HEPA filters are fine filters with a very tight mesh of fibers that can collect particles of dust, smoke, pollen and paint pigments. They are certified to collect 99 percent of a certain particle size.
These are not very suitable for purifying air of particles but can rather help absorb odor molecules from the environment making it less smelly.
These purifiers tend to remove particles below 2.5 microns and are mostly efficient to remove pollutants from the air.
Ionizers charge molecules in the air to make them stick to a surface and no longer pollute the environment. These particles can range from dust to pet dander.
They use UV radiations of different wavelengths. But the most effective and safe is UV-C of wavelength 254nm. Other wavelengths (110-240nm) may produce harmful ozone gas. A UV lamp kills microbes within seconds when they come near to its surface. To enhance its effectivity HEPA and activated carbon filters are also used with it.
Are Air Ionizers harmful?
This question usually arises among users while selecting the right kind of air purifier for their use. The reason being that in the case of air ionizers a number of negative ions are produced in the air that are then consumed by the inhabitants of the room. This makes it a rather valid concern for the consumers to make sure that these ions might not cause any harmful effects to the body in the long-term.
A simple answer is to say that these ionizers are not harmful to the body as they are already present in the nature around us and are mostly considered to be one of the main reasons for uplifting moods.
A detailed analysis of the same question leads to two concluding points that are to be considered before buying an ionizer.:
- The real cause of harm is not the ions rather the over production of ozone that might be present in some ionizers.
- Consider buying ionizers that do not have ozone production and if they do it has the option of controlling the amount of production.
So, the most important factor to consider is in fact the level of ozone production that these purifiers produce and the intention must be to buy those that give out the least amount. The reason being that high levels of ozone intake can cause health risks including lung damage and shortness of breath.
The Difference between ionizers, Sterilizers and humidifiers:
There are a number of similar looking products in the market and to be able to select the right kind of product one must know what to be looking for as well as the options available. These products can be categorized into three broad categories and each one produces a certain kind of output.
The following are the three categories and an analysis of their performance:
Ionizers are devices that electrically captures particles in the air to purify it and produce an ozone in the process. These ionizers are mostly used where an uplifting of mood is required or to considerably improve the quality of sleep in the room that they are placed.
Are they worth it?
These devices are best for spaces that have a high production of smoke or cigarette remains causing them to stick to a certain surface in order to control their presence in the air. Ionizers are also great for eliminating many particles within any indoor environment.
Sterilizers as the name suggests are used to sterilize the air of any microorganisms or germs in it. These devices can get rid of any bacteria or viruses in the air while also remaining absolutely quiet as its mechanism does not include any moving parts.
The sterilizer uses a method of taking in air from the environment and allowing it to rise into a chamber inside the device. This process increases its temperature to about 400 F and kills the germs in the process. This air is then released clean and clear back into the atmosphere.
Are they worth it?
The sterilizers are best for spaces like the kitchen where the air is to be kept clean of all the impurities but the major target of these products are hospitals, clinics, farms and nurseries, where the environment is to be particularly cleaner at all times. These devices do not change the temperature of the surrounding and are not hot to touch. Which makes them completely safe for children and pets and be around.
Humidifiers are devices that increase the humidity level of a room that they are placed in. These devices are usually used in a dry environment to increase the moisture of the skin and air in general.
Potential advantages and disadvantages:
These humidifiers can help reduce symptoms of common cold and fever any time of the year but at the same time over use or improper use can cause an increase in respiratory diseases.
These are to be used with a lot of care as they can cause permanent damage to the body and should not be handled by children at all because they can get hot.
Sizes and uses:
These are a number of sizes that humidifiers come in ranging from console units to impellers. The console units are personal use humidifiers that are used directly for the face or the body to increase moisture. The central humidifiers are used for the entire house and can be installed into the central conditioning system of the house. The impellers are single room units and produce only mist making them less harmful.
- Each of these devices has a specific function that must be recognized before buying them and the precautions are also to be kept in mind to avoid any kind of harm.
- How not to break the bank while buying air purifiers?
There are certain things to consider in order to not break the bank while buying an air purifier.
The following are some factors that should be considered in order to not overspend:
- Instead of looking for air purifiers that are high in brand or are promised as best by the masses, factors like more speed and air amount intake must be considered as the deciding factor. These kinds of air purifiers are often less expensive and do more of the task they are designed for.
- They are safe to use, but an important factor to consider for the sake of safety is that the purifier that you buy should not produce any harmful by-product.
- China, like various other suppliers, has great manufacturers who supply air purifiers around the world. One of the examples is Beijing Yadu Environmental Protection Technology.
- The Philip 1000 series are automated with reference to fan speed settings and has a real time PM 2.5 making it effective also you can easily find this device at a relatively lower price than all the similar technologies available in the market.
- You can look for purifiers that serve larger rooms and consume less energy in order to save additional energy.
- The xiaomi 2c is also one to look for, with its good tower design and double check filters it performs its job well although it lacks some features like Wi-Fi control that do not necessarily create a difference except adding some extra zeroes to the price.
Reasons to Buy An Air Purifier Today!
There are a number of pollutants in the air that are harmful and the same air enters our house through windows and doors. This is the air we breathe in, like all the other things we consume including food and water and if the quality of air that we take into our lungs is bad this will lead to respiratory, breathing issues and many other health problems that could be avoided if the air is cleaner.
The air purifier therefore plays an important part in ensuring that the air you and your family consumes in the house is clean of pollutants and is odor free.
Here are some of the reasons why you might need to consider buying an air purifier:
Helps reduce the risk of causing asthma and another lung related diseases.
Make sure that your home is free of bad odors.
Removes pollens and pet danders from the air.
Reduces the risk of lung cancer by ionizing the smoke and cigarette particles.
By using an air purifier in your home, you will experience many health benefits. You will also notice a mood boost and more focused energy while breathing cleaner air. Start providing your family with clean and clear air to ensure the best health for all for many years to come.